Steaks Without the Grill
2 steaks of your preference, 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch thic
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper
2 teaspoons of your favorite fresh herb, such as rosemary, minced (or a Tablespoon of your favorite dry rub, such as Santa Maria tri-tip rub)
1. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees with an oven safe pan or skillet inside for 15 minutes. Prepare the steaks by rubbing them with salt pepper, and minced rosemary (or other herb or dry rub) on each side and coating them in olive oil.
2. After 15 minutes, remove the pan from the oven (leave the oven on) and put the frame on a medium heat. (Please see my earlier reminder to use hot pads.) Add the well oiled steak straight into the hot pan. Sear for 30 seconds per side.
3. Return the pan to the oven for 2 minutes.
4. After 2 minutes, flip, and cook another minute for rare, minute and a half for medium rare, and 2 minutes for medium. (If you want it more done than that, take your uncooked steak to someone who will appreciate it and go buy another cut of meat that survives being cooked well done. Pork, perhaps.)
5. Let the steak sit 2 minutes before serving, then enjoy.