Spaghetti & MeatballsEpisode 101 'Getting Saucy'
Meat Sauce (for a month)
1 green bell pepper, chopped
4 large celery stalks, chopped
3 very large onions, chopped
5 garlic cloves, chopped
12 large mushrooms, chopped
2 pounds ground beef
4 29 ounce cans tomato sauce or tomato puree (I prefer 2 cans of each)
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
2 bay leaves
fresh or dried herbs to taste (the more tomato sauce used, the less needed. The more tomato puree used, the more needed): parsley, rosemary, basil, and oregano
- Saute onion, celery, and bell pepper with salt until softened and slightly browned.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomato paste, stir, and cook for 30 more seconds.
- Add ground beef and brown.
- Add tomato sauce, herbs and bay leaves. Mix well, taste, and add more herbs, salt, and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook at least 2 hours, stirring and tasting occasionally. Continue to add dried herbs to taste.
- Serve meat sauce on top of meatballs and desired cooked pasta. Top with parmesan.
Freeze remaining sauce to be enjoyed later.
½ pound ground beef
½ pound ground pork
2 stale loaves of bread
1 Tablespoon milk
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon basil (or other Italian seasonings)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 cups Meat Sauce (above)
- In the bottom of a large bowl combine the bread, milk and egg. Using your hands combine the ingredients to form a paste. This is the binding glue for your meatballs and should not be too wet.
- Add the beef, pork, garlic, and basil to the bread mixture. Mix well. Using both hands form the meat “dough” into balls 1 ½” in diameter.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or pan over medium high heat.
- Brown the meatballs on all sides, moving them carefully so they do not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- After the meatballs have browned, but not cooked through, add one or two ladles of meat sauce (about 2 cups) and finish cooking the meatballs through. About 10 minutes.
- Serve meatballs and sauce over pasta. You can pass extra sauce if needed. Top with Parmesan.