MadeleinesEpisode 103 'A Mass of Madeleines'
You will need Madeleine pan for this recipe. (Alternatively you could try to use a piping bag and a cookie sheet, but results will vary.)
½ pound butter, room temperature, plus 4 or more Tablespoons for greasing
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the Madeleine pan with butter generously
- With an electric mixer, beat the room temperature butter on high until it’s fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and mix on low.
- Add eggs one at a time, blending them into the batter on high speed.
- Slowly add the flour to the mix, blending on low speed at first and increasing speed after all the flour has been added.
- Pour the batter into the Madeleine molds about ¾ full and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown along the edges.
Chocolate Dipped Madeleines:
1 package of semi sweet chocolate chips
Omit the optional zest from the previous recipe
- Bring water in a deep saucepan to a boil, place a metal bowl over the boiling water. Fill the metal bowl with the semi sweet chocolate chips.(This can also be done in a double boiler. You need to melt the chocolate over boiling water so it won’t burn.)
- Stir the chocolate with until it melts. Once it is melting, dip the Madeleines in the chocolate until 1/3 of the cookie is covered in chocolate. Place the cookie on wax paper until it cools.